Monday, January 21, 2013

Hermiston, Oregon Here I Come

Hey family. IM GETTING TRANSFERRED. I didn't see that coming... This is probably the hardest part of being a missionary. And it's not about the new area or the new companion. I am just sad to leave all the people here. The area was really starting to get going. We have 9 people on date for baptism and a few more that are close. I'm sad to leave the wards and Elder Manning too. But that's enough lamenting.
I'm going to Hermiston Oregon. It's about an hour south east of tri-cities and about 2 1/2 hours from Yakima. I'll be serving with Elder Butler. I was his district leader in Pasco. We both got called to be a Zone Leader at the same time. This is his last transfer. I will be killing him. And this transfer is a week shorter than all other transfers. It will just be 5 weeks. Elder Butler is a great guy. It was fun to work with him in Pasco. I'm excited to go to Hermiston with him. The area will be a lot different than where I am now. We will cover 1 ward, a YSA branch and two family branches in the middle of nowhere. Maybe it will be a little like Cathlamet in that sense. We will live in an apartment with plenty of space in it. It usually houses 4 missionaries but right now there are just two of us there so we will have plenty of space. At least for this transfer. Next transfer we will be getting near 30 missionaries so there will be a few areas opening up. Its going to be crazy.

Anyways. Transfers... psh.

Trina didn't get baptized. She smoked! She doesn't even smoke, but she decided to smoke. She took two puffs of a cigarette then felt bad and threw it away. THAT'S IT! But that disqualifies her from baptism for a couple of weeks... So. Hopefully she will get baptized on February 2nd. But I wont be there... That is sad. I really like Trina. It was tons of fun to teach her.
 
I'll also miss Brandon, Gage, and Chace's baptism on the 9th... and Jimmie and Kaysie's on the 16th... and Jonothan Pearson's on the 2nd... and Angela Coombs on the 9th... DANGIT! Oh well. I guess thats how you're supposed to leave an area anyways... The only baptisms I got to be here for were Richard's and Laura's and they are both pretty dang awesome.
 
When all is said and done, this area has been good to me. I just wish I could have stayed longer to finish some things. I guess Elder Manning will finish them with Elder Larue instead. The important thing is that they get baptized and stay active. It's not about me.

Yesterday was a pretty crazy day. We were in church from 7:30 am to 8:00 pm. In order: we had ward council in 6th ward, 6th ward sacrament meeting and gospel principles, 1st ward sacrament meeting/YSA branch council (we split up), YSA sacrament meeting (Elder Manning and I both spoke), YSA gospel principles, then at 4 we had a two hour meeting for Bishops and Ward Mission Leaders in the Yakima and Selah Stakes, the AP's were there and they invited us too, Elder Risenmay spoke and so did President Greer. It was a really really good meeting, after that we went to a fireside for youth that Elder Manning and I both spoke at, It was to get the youth pumped for a mission. We had to speak there because Sister Thomas was sick and she was supposed to speak but we filled in for her. We finally got out at 8 then went to an appointment with Angela Coombs. It was a ridiculous day full of meetings and speaking.

The meeting with Elder Risenmay (an area seventy) was amazing. I think one of my favorite things that he said was "President Monson has turned priesthood keys in lowering the age for missionary work". What a cool thing to say huh? We know that Priesthood leaders hold keys but I've never really heard it put that way "Keys have been turned". He also talked about how this church is the only true and living church on the earth. D&C 1:30. we're living because of continued revelation. We shouldn't forget or disregard the word "living" when speaking of the only true and living church. In essence, Elder Risenmay and President Greer pumped everyone up to do missionary work. The Lord is "hastening the work" I think it says that in D&C 88:73. That is what Elder Risenmay was focused on. That is what the Prophet, and thus, the Lord, is focused on. Sustain your priesthood leaders! Emulate them and you will be emulating the Savior.

The meeting with Angela last night went phenomenally. We got there and she was crying because her dad didn't want anything to do with her and her mom was angry because she is getting baptized. She still wants to get baptized though because it is what is right. And at the end of the lesson she filled a whole garbage bag with alcohol, tea, coffee and cigarets. She had an inordinate amount of tea. And she dumped her wine and liquor down the sink. Alcohol smells bad. It reminded me of a baseball game ha ha. She probably ended up throwing away like $400 worth of sin ha ha. We took out her garbage for her after it was all done. I've never had an experience quite like that. I've seen people give up substances, but never to that level. That was quite impressive. And it seemed really empowering for Angela. She struggles with depression, and I think she really helped herself last night by shedding the chains that were binding her down in the form of alcohol, coffee, tea and tobacco. WOO!

Hermiston, here I come! I'm pumped to share the gospel!!!!

You should all be pumped too.

Love,
Elder Paxman

2 comments:

  1. You are doing such amazing things. I'm so proud of you as a missionary. Sorry you weren't able to stay for all the baptisms but you will help in Hermiston get new baptisms there. I love your attitude and outlook.

    My sister, Shawna, and her family used to live in Hermiston. I hope you like it there.

    We are excited about Mason and Katelyn going on missions. They are both so enthused and will be great.

    It is so good that you will be able to observe up close and personal the results of the turning of the key to lower the missionary age and the hastening of the work. We live in the best of times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed this email. Such exciting things going on in Washington! How awesome it is that you get to be involved in this great work at this momentous time. I'm sure your heart is hurting having to leave when so much of your work will have to be finished by others, but you have the right attitude, so I know good things will come your way in your new area. Angela is a brave girl, and I really admire her courage. If you get a chance, tell her there is someone in Utah who thinks she is AMAZING and will pray for her to have the strength to continue on the path she's embarked on and that her parents' hearts will be softened when they see the good that the church will bring to her life. Have fun in Hermiston!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete