Monday, September 10, 2012

The Mathews Family

Well. Two people fell off date. Michael and Victoria. But they are still around. They just dont want to decide on a church yet. So we will work with that... They also didn't show up to their teaching appointment yesterday... Oh well.
 
This Sunday was cool. We watched "The Mormons next door" Just like everyone else in the US for the third hour. And we got to watch it for both wards we cover. And as missionaries in a recent zone meeting. So that was fun. But the better part of it is this:
 
We sat next to the Mathews in the chapel in 2nd ward and they leaned over to us right before the presentation started and told us they had family living within our ward boundaries that they wanted to introduce us to but didn't really know how. So we set up a time to go over to the Mathews home after church. When we visited them Sister Mathews told us that she was the only member in her family. She is 55 years old (but she looks like shes 40) and has been a member for over 30 years. But no one has followed her to baptism quite yet. Her mom was close but when she realized she wanted to change her life she was too old and didn't feel physically able to be baptized. She passed away in 2004 and before she did she pleaded with her daughter to work with her siblings to get them interested in the church. Sister Mathews' sister Maralynn lived in Sharon Vermont and three years ago they all visited Joseph Smith's home there and all felt the spirit very stong. Now, Maralynn and her brother Brian and Brian's son Jonathan all live together in Pasco. So sister Mathews wanted to try again but wanted to do it right. We all said a prayer together after talking it out and decided that Elder Burgess and I would go over first and invite them to take the lessons. The goal that we have is to get them taught in the Mathews home but that might take some work. So we are going to be working with them! Sister Mathews said the reason she waited until now was because she didn't know what the right time would be but when we sat next to her during our meetings on Sunday she said she felt the spirit very stongly telling her that we were the missionaries that she wanted teaching her brother and sister. She said that we looked like we take our calling seriously and felt like we were the right ones. Well that makes me nervous haha. I hope we dont blow it. But I see it going very well. We met Jonathan yesterday. They seem like nice people. Sunday night football was on. The broncos were losing to the steelers... 14-19. in the 4th quarter. I dont know who won... :(
 
There were other things that happened this week. We found out that we are probably moving out of our apartment and in with our bishop on the 18th. So until I know more you should just send stuff to:
 
8202 W Quinault Ave Ste D
Kennewick, WA 99336
 
I'll let you know next week what happens. This is the last week of the transfer but I don't think I will be leaving. I think I'll finish training Elder Burgess here. Then I'll go somewhere else. So I think I'll be leaving pasco on Halloween. But we might be moving in with Bishop Pierce soon. That would be really cool. But Elder Burgess isn't looking forward to it. Less freedom. We can't do our laundry whenever. Way less space. Oh well. I'm just excited to live with people again. It's been awhile.
 
Well... No more time again. I'm sorry this is short and I didn't cover much. Shane and Marina are getting married on Saturday!
 
Love you,
 
I'll write more next week!
 
Elder Paxman

2 comments:

  1. It is so good that you are living in such a way that the Spirit can testify to someone that you are the ones to entrust their loved ones to with regard to the gospel. I hope so much that things go well with them. So exciting that Shane and Marina are getting married. I wish them much happiness. Hope their baptism will quickly follow. You are doing so much good.

    ReplyDelete