Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I Love Washington

Family,

So. I love Washington. It's a great place. Most people don't like Yakima but I miss it a lot. When people ask me how I liked Yakima and I tell them I loved it they always ask "really?". Maybe its because I am a missionary and being a missionary somewhere is a completely different kind of life. Some people don't like Cathlamet either. It is a beautiful place but really small. And I love it. I could spend forever out here, I wouldn't mind at all.

I went on exchanges with Elder Peterson on Wednesday. He serves in Longview 2nd. He served in Cathlamet before that. So it was fun for him to come back to his old area for a day. We saw some of the members that he really liked and also investigators. Elder Peterson came out with me. I love exchanges. I've probably said that before. They are just a whole bunch of fun.

I went on another exchange with one of our Zone Leaders yesterday too. Elder Randall. He is going home in three weeks... I love the Zone Leaders area. It's the second time I have been to woodland and I love it. It is a really cool area to be in. And it just so happened that we saw some of the same people that I saw last time I was in Woodland. The Morgans. And the last time they were able to get a hold of them was when I went over there the first time! ALSO, the second counselor in our branch presidency, Brother Hunt, is on a special assignment to our branch. He lives in Woodland but comes to Cathlamet each week to fulfill his calling. And we got to eat with them while I was in town. That was fun.

While we were at Brother Hunt's he told us that our branch president's (President Most) brother-in-law died on Sunday unexpectedly at age 25. They didn't see it coming and the branch is in a little bit of disarray. It should all work out in the end but Sister Most is pretty upset. Sad news.

We had Zone conference on Thursday. That is happy news. President was in town and we learned all about how to be good missionaries. I was going to bring my notes to this computer so that I could tell you what my takeaways were but I forgot them in the car. I'm sorry. But here is what I can remember:

"when we do the Lords work we receive the Lords pay"

We shouldn't worry about whether or not we have the Holy Ghost with us, we should just focus on being worthy.

Catharsis - When we are going through hard times it helps to write down our feelings.

The Holy Ghost works as a testifier. That is why missionaries should back up their companions testimony with theirs when they are in lessons, to mirror what the holy ghost does.

That's all I can remember out of what I wrote down. If there is anything else that is spectacular I will write about it next week.

The Temple was amazing today. I went to the Portland temple for the first time. It is HUGE!! The Colombia River temple is kinda tiny so going to Portland was a difference. I love going to the Temple though. Its a good place to think.

Stan came to church! That went a lot better than I expected too! It was a real good experience for him I think. When he introduced himself in priesthood he said "I'm Stan, I live here in Cathlamet, and I'm having a great time today". Love it. We are going to see him on Thursday. He is making some good progress which I never ever would have guessed...

Francis is the same. Closer and closer to baptism each day. I hope. probably.

Elder Mellies gave a talk on Sunday. He did a great job. It was on the Holy Ghost and he went by the Holy Ghost. He went up with no notes and just talked. To begin his talk he said "I want to sing a song for you" and he sang the first verse and chorus of "The Spirit of God". I didn't know he was a singer. And he technically isn't. But he did a wonderful job. Not your everyday approach but it worked out really well.

I love being a missionary. Everyone should try this. Except you Kristen. you don't need to.

I love everyone.

Elder Paxman

1 comment:

  1. It is so fun to hear about all the good experiences you are having!! Maybe someday you'll run across my friends who live up there, Lindsay and Kevin Strong. They are awesome. I'm glad to hear your investigators are moving forward! Great job. It's awesome that you are so happy being a missionary.

    ReplyDelete