Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Mike Waters

This week is going to be a short email.

We went to the temple this morning so the day is a little shorter. It was way cool to go to the temple. The Colombia River Temple is very small but very pretty. There were a lot of missionaries there and it was fun. I learn every time. I love going.


This week we went with Mike to a baptismal service to show him what it would be like. It was a stake baptism so it was an 8 year old. Its not going to be exactly like that but it was good for him to be there and see. We have been meeting with him almost daily. He has had a small issue of quitting smoking which is saying a lot. The fact that it's a small issue is amazing. He is showing a lot of will power to quit. We went and bought him a bunch of gum to help him out and he says that helps a lot. I dont worry about him. He says he is done and we have to believe him. He will be interviewed on wednesday and baptized on saturday. We were at his place yesterday and we were talking about who he wanted to baptize him. He felt really bad because he was torn. He wanted us both in the font with him but he understands that only one of us can preform the ordinance. He decided that he wanted me to baptize him. Then we told him that Elder Boswell could confirm him and he got a look of relief. Confirmation and baptism are just as important. So he felt a lot better when we told him we could both be apart of it. I dont think we told him, but he knew that Elder Boswell was the senior missionary. And I felt really honored that he wanted me to baptize him.
Mike totally gets it. He understands everything. Yesterday he said something like "This experience is going to be something that bonds us for life" then he got a little teary eyed and sentimental. Nobody understands this like he does. He is very humble. Very intelligent. Gracious. Genuine. I love him. Every time we meet with him I feel so much better.

It's crazy how this all happened. We ran into him on the street. Taught him. And now we're going to baptize him all in 4 weeks! That never happens. Most of the time preparing someone for baptism takes much longer. and referrals are much more successful. It is a miracle how prepared Mike Waters was. He is just someone who gets it.

One thing I have learned on my mission is that as a missionary being obedient brings blessings. I have been trying to be perfectly obedient. Something President Greer stresses is adjusting and not adjusting back. Adjust to be obedient to God's commandments and when you get home dont adjust back. Thats the hard part. I am learning what to do to not adjust back. And I plan on doing that for the rest of my life. I gotta continue to attend the temple. Pray and read daily. The easy stuff that makes all the difference and sometimes isn't so easy.

I love you all.

Mike is pretty much all we are focusing on right now. We have nothing else to do. Everything else is dead.

Love,
Elder Paxman

No comments:

Post a Comment