Tuesday, October 4, 2011

General Conference

So this week was way busy. On Wednesday we went on companionship exchanges so I was with Elder Barton on Wednesday. We did some really good work. we got 30 OYM's which is a ton. Sometimes companionships don't even get that in a week. We talked to everyone. We also put Alvina and Dolly on date to be baptized... They are interesting. Alvina owns the home but it getting older and needs help from her friend Dolly. They have both been kinda impossible to get a hold of until about a week ago when I figure they hit rock bottom. They drink their sorrows away and we have visited them when they are drinking a few times. They get depressed and they turn to alcohol for a solution to their problems. We are trying to fix that for them and they want to change. They are on date for the 22nd of October but it would kinda be a miracle if they actually were baptized on that day. They have to come to church twice before they can be baptized and they need to quit drinking among other things. The environment they live in just isn't a good one. They live downtown and its a rough situation. We have seen them a couple times since they committed to baptism and they seem really excited. I think the excitement is good, but I think right now its not because of a testimony of the Book of Mormon or anything like that, they just are turning to God to help them and The LDS church was the church they turned to. They are nice people and want to change. That's what's important. Alvina and dolly are in their 60'sish by the way

So exchanges went well and I learned a lot from being with Elder Barton all day. He is our District Leader and a good missionary. The next day I was back with Boswell and we put Frankie on date. Frankie wasn't even up on our investigator board, but we met with him in the park and he accepted the invitation to be baptized on the 29th of October. It kinda came out of no where because, like alvina and dolly, Frankie is really hard to track down. We set up an appointment with him in the park and we taught him for the first time. Gave him a book of Mormon. Told him to read and pray. then put him on date. With him its kinda unlikely that he will be baptized on the 29th... He is a weird dude to say the least. Right now Elder Boswell and I are trying to determine if it would even be a good idea to baptize him because he is just a guy that we really don't know. Kinda creepy... I dunno. We just need to get to know him and really see if he is progressing in anything. He says he is reading the book of mormon. But also, he is leaving town for two weeks... So he wont even be in town to come to church! gah...

As for the rest of our investigators... Its all kinda dying. Boswell and I look at the board every night to plan and it seems like we have no one to visit. We're just in a funk and we need to get out of it! Maybe not even a funk. Probably not. We just see a lot of the same people a lot. But its great. really. its great. Eddie is still going forward. Kimberly has fallen of the face of the world for the past 2 weeks. I haven't even seen her. Denim is hard to contact. Marcus has been found but we haven't been able to meet with him. We have an appointment on Friday. When I email home about investigators it seems like I just throw out names and you guys probably don't know what I'm talking about. If that's the case then tell me and I will try to be more clear. But its hard to remember what I've told you and I know a lot about each of these people but don't have the time to write it all down ya know? I try my best!

We are still walking. Its good to walk. The weather is getting a little bit colder but mom sent me a bunch of great crap so im okay! Really though. That package was the greatest thing. I loved it, it made me happy to see the food and the suit and the coat. I wear the coat every morning in our home. then I take it off to go outside. For some reason it is colder inside then it is outside. especially in the morning. But the weather is pretty nice right now. We still wear short sleeves.

General Conference was really really good. I watched all sessions at the stake center and took a ton of notes. My favorite talks were by Brother Ardern and Brother Callister. Brother Ardern's was about spending time wisely and using the gift of time well. Especially as a missionary I have to determine if going somewhere is wasting the Lords time. Sometimes its easy to visit some people but if it wastes time then I should do something that is a better use of the Lords time. Brother Callister's talk was on the Book of Mormon and he just threw down on anyone who doesn't believe in the book of Mormon. It was a really good talk.

Those talks and Elder Holland in the priesthood session, President Monson was hilarious on Sunday Morning, Sister Dalton's was a great talk, I enjoyed Elder Ballard. I think his name was Kamashita... Brother Kamashita gave a good talk on missionary work. Mason, you should read that. The name was something Japanese. You can figure it out.

Missionary work is the best work ever. Not just because its the Lords work, but because it is the most fun. Every day is straight up fun. I enjoy it very much. I heard all about how fun it was to be on a mission but I didn't really understand until I got out. Every day I enjoy it more. I don't want to go home. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

I love you all. Thank you so much for your letters. I appreciate them so so so much. Thank you grandma and pamela for your dedication to writing :). You guys are great. You too Tiffany. I know I haven't written you back in awhile... But I'm still thinking of you. you'll get a letter soon.

And Ciera, Mason, Mom, Dad, Dave. Thank you all for your prayers, letters, emails, and thoughts. I love you all.

Love,
Elder Paxman

No comments:

Post a Comment