Monday, March 12, 2012

Elder Russell M. Nelson

Elder Nelson came to town this weekend and we were made aware that he was going to speak specifically to the missionaries. We met with him on Saturday at 11. He left us with a lot of good words. It was really cool to be able to shake his hand and look into his eyes. They were soft hands and soft eyes. It was weird. There was a lot of depth to his eyes. You could tell that he had seen a lot and that he knew a lot. He is a funny man. He only visited half of our mission and the other half just gets left out hahaha. Poor guys. I just came from the other side of the mission so I got lucky. ALSO. The reason he was in town is for Longview Stake Conference and I just happen to be in that Stake. So not only did I get to hear him once with just missionaries. We also saw the adult session of stake conference and the general session. It was so great to hear Elder Nelson speak so much. He is so ridiculously smart. He broke down all these words for us. He took us to their Greek/Hebrew roots and helped us understand what they really meant. He broke down Atonement and Conversation and Conversion and Submit. I wrote a lot of notes and also I wrote in my journal afterward. I learned a lot of doctrinal things but I believe that most of all my testimony was strengthened. I heard a lot of testimonies born this weekend by President and Sister Greer, President and Sister Child (Portland Temple President) Elder and Sister Bussey (Area Seventy) President Bolen (Stake President) and also Elder Nelson. They all bore similar testimonies but I know that all of them were sincere. Each of them bore testimony of the Savior and many bore testimony of Joseph Smith and the Restoration.
Elder Nelson once said "The earth was created and the church was restored so that families could be sealed for eternity". That's our whole purpose here and all of that is made possible by Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith played an integral role in that plan. It all makes too much sense to not be true. It makes sense logically but it also makes sense in my heart. I feel that it is true. I love the way I feel when I go to the temple. I know that that is what its all about. That is why we are missionaries. Elder Nelson said that we are here to Endure to the End. and That the ENDowment is the end. Endure to the Endowment and then live all the promises you make there. We (as missionaries) shouldn't bring anyone into the church without telling them what they are joining for. Which is to go to the temple of course!! I know that Christ is our Savior. Everything is made possible through his atonement. Its phenomenal.

I also went on exchanges this week with Elder Fenn, one of our Zone Leaders. In his area is Kalama Washington which is the home of "twilight high school" I took pictures. I didn't recognized it. Perhaps I need to watch the movie again. Exchanges are fun. I learned a lot that day too.

Sorry this is terribly short... I'm just glad to be a missionary. I know the church is true. Love you all.

Elder Paxman

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, oh my. What a wonderful letter. It is so amazing to be able to listen to an apostle in a smaller setting where they can be more relaxed and really teach as they would like. I love your testimony, Chase, and your response to the truths that were taught you by your leaders. What beautiful memories you are going to have of your mission because you are serving with a pure heart and with all your heart.

    ReplyDelete